CLS jumps on revaluation bandwagon

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Sahara dust cloud looms over Cuba, Caribbean and Florida

first_img“The highest concentration over the capital will occur tomorrow,” he said.In Havana, scientist Eugenio Mojena said the phenomenon “causes an appreciable deterioration in air quality.”Mojena said the dust clouds are loaded with material that is “highly harmful to human health.”Mojena listed “minerals such as iron, calcium, phosphorous, silicon and mercury” in the dust, and said the clouds also carried “viruses, bacteria, fungi, pathogenic mites, staphylococci and organic pollutants.”According to the Institute of Meteorology, temperatures in Cuba’s eastern province of Guantanamo reached a record for the time of year of 37.4 degrees Celsius on Wednesday. Duran ruled out any link with the coronavirus pandemic.The government said its epidemic is under control and last week began to relax quarantine measures, with Havana the only area where restrictions remain because it continues to register infections.The island reported a single new case on Wednesday, bringing the total number of infections to 2,318, with 85 fatalities from COVID-19. Francisco Duran, head of Epidemiology at the Ministry of Health, said the cloud is likely to “increase respiratory and allergic conditions”.Air quality in Miami is currently “moderate” the city’s health department said, asking people with respiratory problems to stay home.Powered by strong winds, dust from the Sahara travels across the Atlantic Ocean from West Africa during the boreal spring.But the density of the current dust cloud over Cuba “is well above normal levels,” said Cuban meteorologist Jose Rubiera. A massive cloud of Saharan dust darkened much of Cuba on Wednesday and began to affect air quality in Florida, sparking warnings to people with respiratory illnesses to stay home.The dust cloud swept across the Atlantic from Africa over the past week, covering the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico since Sunday and hitting south Florida in the United States on Wednesday, authorities there said.Conditions over the Cuban capital Havana are expected to worsen on Thursday, specialists on the Communist-run island reported.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Granit Xhaka appears to confirm Arsenal’s transfer deal for Nicolas Pepe

first_imgGranit Xhaka appears to confirm Arsenal’s transfer deal for Nicolas Pepe Arsenal boss Unai Emery insists the club are looking for reinforcements ‘who will improve the squad’ amid rumours of Pepe’s imminent arrival.‘The club is thinking on how we can improve,’ he said following Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat to Lyon at the Emirates Cup.‘There are different players on the table. Pepe’s a very good player. We only want players who can really, really improve the squad.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘We want the best players possible for the first game at Newcastle.’Asked whether Arsenal need a new winger before the end of the transfer window, Emery replied: ‘Again, we really want players who make the squad better than last year.’MORE: Frank Lampard provides N’Golo Kante injury update ahead of Manchester United clash Metro Sport ReporterSunday 28 Jul 2019 11:41 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link11.8kShares Nicolas Pepe is reportedly on his way to Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Granit Xhaka has dropped a huge hint over Nicolas Pepe’s future by ‘liking’ an Instagram post about Arsenal’s move for the forward.Reports this weekend claim that Arsenal have beaten off competition from Napoli for 24-year-old attacker Pepe after agreeing a €80million (£72m) deal with Lille.Though the Gunners still need to finalise an agreement with Pepe’s representatives, an official announcement over the Ivorian’s switch is expected in the coming days.Arsenal have already completed deals for Dani Ceballos, Gabriel Martinelli and William Saliba this summer and it looks increasingly likely that Pepe will be the next through the doors at the Emirates.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAmid the speculation, Xhaka – who is the leading candidate to be Arsenal’s captain this season – appeared to confirm Pepe’s imminent transfer.The Swiss midfielder ‘liked’ a post from Instagram account ‘433‘ which said: ‘Arsenal have reached an agreement with Lille for the €80m transfer of Nicolas Pepe.’Eagle-eyed Arsenal fans noticed that Emile Smith Rowe had also hit ‘like’ on the post.📸Granit Xhaka and Emile Smith Rowe’s both liked a post about Arsenal reaching an agreement for Nicolas Pepe. [@afcstuff] #afc pic.twitter.com/HcJvJxceZk— DailyAFC™ (@DailyAFC) July 28, 2019 Comment Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Doha 2019: Oduduru, Okagbare reinstated into World Championships

first_imgRelatedPosts Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Okowa adopts Okagbare, Ese Brume, four others Oduduru joins the growing list of athletes Visa is supporting for Tokyo 2020 World Championships: Okagbare disqualified, 17-year-old Nigerian in semis Divine Oduduru and Blessing.Okagbare have been reinstated into the World Championships in Doha.Both athletes were disqualified for not showing up in the 100m race after being listed to compete.The Athletics Federation of Nigeria had entered both athletes for the race, but the duo had not intended to run the distance.For failing to feature in the event, the IAAF, according to its rules, disqualified both from the 200m and 4×100 relays they had hoped to participate in.The world body, however, accepted the appeal of the athletes and reinstated them into the championships.Meanwhile, Oduduru finished fourth in 20.40 seconds in Heat 1 but it was enough to see him qualify to the semi-finals of the 200m event.The Women’s 200m begins on Monday.Tags: Blessing OkagbareDivine OduduruDoha 2019last_img read more

Liverpool loss hits City title bid

first_img This time it was Liverpool doing Chelsea favours – not something their fans would usually celebrate but on this occasion their club’s needs come first, and with the championship beyond their means, the race for Champions League qualification takes priority. Jordan Henderson’s brilliant opener was matched by an equally good team goal from Edin Dzeko but Philippe Coutinho’s 75th-minute winner eclipsed them all. Anfield is something of a graveyard for City, who have now not won here in 12 league matches, yet it was supposed to be their hosts who were mourning a Europa League exit to Besiktas on penalties on Thursday. City reverted to the team which thrashed Newcastle 5-0 last weekend after losing to Barcelona in midweek but it was the home side, registering four changes – most significantly returning playmaker Philippe Coutinho – from the defeat to Besiktas, who got off to a flier. Coutinho, who twice set up Adam Lallana to first shoot weakly at Joe Hart and then brilliantly finish from a narrow angle only to be judged marginally offside, was the instigator. Pressing hard he robbed Vincent Kompany and rode a challenge from the City captain before laying off to Raheem Sterling, who gave Kompany a torrid time in the first half, and he teed up Henderson to curl a beauty over Hart and into the top corner in the 11th minute. Immediately the intensity went up a notch, with Sergio Aguero breaking free of Skrtel and beating Simon Mignolet but not the far post with a left-footed shot. It was end-to-end stuff, with the creative Coutinho and equally mercurial David Silva running the show for their respective sides, although an honourable mention should go to the pint-sized Joe Allen, who was a giant in midfield against players of huge size and even bigger reputations. Chelsea’s involvement in the Capital One Cup final had given Manuel Pellegrini’s side a chance to reduce the gap at the top to two points but, as was the case last season, they were cut down at Anfield. Eleven months ago defeat here did not prove their undoing in the title race as Chelsea did them a favour by winning at Anfield. Press Association The former’s ball with the outside of his right foot sent Sterling racing down the left wing, but although he easily jinked past Eliaquim Mangala, City’s £32million summer signing, his cross rolled through the six-yard area with no-one to knock it in. Silva was increasingly finding space in front of Liverpool’s back four, the area where he is most dangerous, and from there he crafted City’s 25th-minute equaliser. The Spain international picked out Aguero, whose sublime ball to Dzeko was deservedly rewarded with a goal as the Bosnian slotted past Mignolet for his 50th Premier League goal. From then on the game became even more open and entertaining, something of a rarity for a noon kick-off on a Sunday. Both defences looked to be the weakest links, with Mangala equally out of touch as Kompany while Dejan Lovren’s presence in the back three, after his penalty shoot-out miss in Istanbul cost his side Europa League progress, seemed to cause as much indecision in Liverpool’s ranks as it did consternation in the stands. The ripple of applause he received for holding off or, depending on your persuasion, pushing over Pablo Zabaleta in the box just before half-time seemed more in relief than appreciation. Attacks continued, with Aguero heading over 20 seconds into the second half and Sterling bundling wide a Lallana cross, but the quality level dropped somewhat. In an instant it was raised again, in the 75th minute, when Coutinho cut in from the left, dropped his shoulder and unleashed an arcing shot which dipped over the outstretched fingertips of Hart. Once again going behind sparked City to go to another gear and, having sent on striker Wilfried Bony for Fernandinho, Aguero’s angled shot whistled just past the far post after Lovren had lunged in. A frenzied final 10 minutes saw Coutinho have another shot deflected over, Bony escape with a yellow card after appearing to lead with an elbow on Lallana, substitute Daniel Sturridge roll a shot wide with only Hart to beat and Silva flash a shot just off target with the seconds ticking down. Liverpool put a huge dent in Manchester City’s title hopes with a 2-1 victory which dramatically enhanced their own hopes of a top-four finish. last_img read more

Footballer in court on sex charges

first_img The three counts of sexual activity with a child were said to have taken place on one night in January at two locations in County Durham while the meeting a child after sexual grooming offence was said to have happened between December and February. The winger, who has played 12 times for England, lives in a mansion in Castle Eden, County Durham. Born in Sunderland, Johnson began his career at Middlesbrough before moving to Manchester City and then Sunderland for £10million in 2012. During the five-minute hearing, his solicitor, Paul Morris, indicated he would plead not guilty. No pleas were entered today. The case was sent to Durham Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on June 3. He did not comment as he left court with Ms Flounders and was driven away in a Range Rover. Johnson wore a grey suit with an open necked shirt. Ms Flounders wore a beige jacket and black jeans. The 27-year-old Sunderland star held hands with Stacey Flounders as they arrived at Peterlee Magistrates’ Court. The winger was arrested in March after he was accused of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl. England international Adam Johnson walked with his partner into court where he faced three offences of sexual activity with a girl under 16 and one of grooming. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Lengthy lay-off for Barnes

first_img Manager Sean Dyche said: “To say this is bad luck is an understatement. They have been innocuous incidents that have ended up with four serious injuries, and it’s an incredible misfortune. “Obviously it’s a big blow and our thoughts are with Ashley, but the irony is that our ‘preventable’ soft tissue injuries have improved year-on-year. To then have four cruciate injuries, you just can’t believe it. “However, Ashley will be looked after. He will undergo surgery next week and we know what a tough lad he is, and he will be back on the road to recovery as soon as possible. “The positive side is that we are well rehearsed now in this type of injury. Ashley has Dean and Kevin just in front of him and they all have Sam to look to as someone who has recovered and is back playing again.” Barnes limped off the pitch 34 minutes into Sunday’s game after landing awkwardly following an aerial challenge with Fabian Delph. A club statement said: “Burnley Football Club can confirm that Ashley Barnes has suffered a cruciate knee injury that is likely to sideline him for much of next season. “Scans earlier today revealed that the Clarets striker, 25, suffered anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament damage during the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa on the final day of the Premier League season.” The win at Villa Park came too late for Dyche’s men to preserve their top-flight status and Barnes, who made 37 appearances and scored five goals last season, will be a big miss as the club attempts to bounce back at the first time of asking. Burnley striker Ashley Barnes is set to miss the majority of next season after suffering a serious knee injury. The Clarets have announced that the 25-year-old sustained anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament damage in Sunday’s final-day Barclays Premier League victory over Aston Villa. Barnes, who will undergo surgery next week, is the fourth Burnley player to be struck by a cruciate ligament injury in the space of 14 months, following Sam Vokes, Kevin Long and Dean Marney into long-term rehabilitation. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Guinness National finals begin tomorrow in Linden

first_img… West Bank, Georgetown legs next weekTHE best 16 teams in five zones will meet inat three different destinations as part of the 2017 National finals of the Colors/Guinness Greatest of the Street Football tournament set to begin shortly.The finals, a three-night affair where the best of the best meet, will begin in Linden on July 8 then head to Pouderoyen for the second night on July 14 and then move to Demerara Park the following evening.According to Guinness Brand manager Lee Baptiste, the idea behind this is to ensure that everyone gets a piece of the pie.“Over a three-period, the public will witness the best of the best battle to see which team is made of more in the National Championships,” Baptiste said.“This shows Banks DIH’s commitment under the Guinness brand to spread community development through sports; hence the special efforts made to take the National Finals to different parts of the country,” he added during yesterday’s press conference.Baptiste said that this year featured the most teams in the tournament so far, with teams becoming more organised as the competition rolls into their zones.Four Georgetown teams will join three each from Linden, East Coast and West Coast of Demerara, two from Berbice and one from Bartica in the National Finals.They are New Amsterdam Kings, Swag Entertainment, East Bank Gunners, Tucville, Plaisance B, Show Stoppers, the Money Team, Back Circle, Melanie B, Buxton Diamond, Dave and Celina all Stars, Silver Bullets, Broad Street Ballers Riverview, Sparta Boss and Hustlers.last_img read more

O’Riordan on GAA All Star shortlist

first_imgRecently crowned All-Ireland champions Kerry lead the way with 11 nominations and are followed by beaten All-Ireland finalists Donegal who, along with Dublin, earn nine.JK Bracken’s clubman O’Riordan is the only Tipperary representative on the shortlist of 45 players.last_img

Atlético Madrid to double Thomas Partey’s salary to fend off Arsenal interest

first_img Source: The Guardian Atlético Madrid has offered Ghanaian midfielder Thomas Partey a new deal until 2025 in the hope of fending off bids from rival clubs, including Arsenal.The Premier League club has expressed the strongest interest so far in the 26-year-old Ghanaian. Arsenal has yet to submit an official bid although they have made contact with the player’s agent.Partey has a release clause of €50m (£43.6m) and the Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, is keen to add him to his squad in the summer.Atlético’s new offer, however, would double Partey’s current salary of £65,000 a week and increase the release clause to more than €100m (£87.2m).The Atlético manager, Diego Simeone, is desperate to keep Partey, whose current deal runs out in 2023, at the club and has urged the hierarchy to offer him a deal that would enable him to stay.Partey has been with the club since 2013. Atlético is sixth in La Liga, 13 points behind Barcelona, but through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League after eliminating the holders Liverpool in the last 16.last_img read more